Saturday, June 8, 2013

Help, I Have Fallen and I Can't Get Up!


As I have stated in my prior posts, my plans are to live in the boonies. I envision trees, gardens, critters, blue sky, rain, snow, wind, but NOT people, busy highways, or concrete buildings. This tranquility is a heavenly idea to me, however the thought of a medical emergency far from help is worrisome. Preparing for an emergency in an isolated place takes forethought. Deep in the thick of an emergency is not the time to realize that you don't have scissors, or bandages, or pain reliever.


Today I went to my local 99 cent store. (Actually $0.999) where I always buy my wooden kitchen matches, and last time I was there I picked up clothespins for a song. I don't think one can ever have enough clothespins. Anyway, as I was walking up and down the aisles I passed the medications and I began contemplating my current first aid situation. I discovered that my 99 cent store has a wide variety of medications which sparked me into considering finishing the task putting together a comprehensive first aid kit.

I did some research today into different commercially produced first aid kits. These kits seem to have the same types of products: Gauze, bandages in a variety of sizes, antiseptic wipes, burn cream, and cheap tweezers. Some had some extra things, but the core of the kits were all the same. Honestly, I don't think these kits are really first aid as much as for bumps and bruises with an occasional upset stomach or headache tossed in. 99% of these kits are designed for folks who can just dial 911 or drive to medical care within 15 minutes if the need be. The most comprehensive kits I found were produced fro those who live on boats and are away from the closest port by several days and miles of ocean. These kits, however impressive, are very expensive (hundreds of dollars) and out of my budget, but, they have inspired me to put together a comprehensive (and large) emergency medical kit that would allow me to treat most emergencies until I can summon help to come out to the boonies or stabilize me enough to drive my carcass into town.

The first thing I did was break down my medical needs into categories. This allows me to then divide my supplies into smaller kits that I can grab out of the larger bag without having to search through tons of supplies that are just loose in the bag.

I found these categories to be the best for my needs:

  • Wounds
  • Sprains/Breaks
  • Aches/Strains
  • Medications
  • Heat/Cold
  • Dental
  • Eyes
  • Breathing (I am asthmatic)
  • Sterility/Cleaning
  • Tools


After deciding on categories, I started dividing the supplies I already own into those categories. For example, I had surgery several times a couple of years back and the nurses saved me the "disposable" scissors, clamps, etc. from the procedures I had. I put these in the Tools pile. I put all the bandages into the Wounds pile. Ace wraps went to sprains and breaks, etc.

Then I took inventory and sat down to write a list of all the supplies I was missing. I spent some time watching YouTube videos others have made about their first aid supplies. I poked around some more on the web. I made notes of anything that I hadn't thought of in the correct category.

Here are some of the things I put in each category to help inspire (or frighten) you. Please note, these are in no particular order of importance, just alphabetized:

  • Wounds:
    • Bandages
    • Butterfly Closures
    • Finger Cots
    • Gauze Pads
    • Gauze Roll
    • Liquid Skin
    • Medical Tape
    • Moleskin (blisters on feet)
    • Panty Liners/Sanitary Pads (stop bleeding/absorb blood)
    • Suture kit
    • Super Glue
    • Tampons (bloody nose)
  • Sprains/Breaks
    • Ace Bandage
    • Finger Splints
    • Hot pack
    • Ice Pack
    • Icy Hot
    • Sam Splint
    • Sling
    • Tongue Depressors
    • Tourniquet
  • Aches/Strains
    • Cold Pack
    • Epsom Salts
    • Heat Pack
    • Icy Hot
    • Muscle Rub
  • Medications
    • Allergy
    • Aloe Vera
    • Antacid
    • Anti-Diarrhea
    • Anti-Itch 
    • Anti-Vomit
    • Bag Balm
    • Benadryl 
    • Burn Cream
    • Chapstick/Blistex
    • Decongestant
    • Fever Reducer
    • Flu/Cold Relief 
    • Mucus Relief
    • Multi-Vitamin
    • Nasal Spray
    • Neosporin
    • No Doze
    • Pain Releiver 
      • Acetometophen
      • Aspirin
      • Aleve
    • Sun Block
    • Sleep Inducer
    • Vaseline
    • Vapo Rub
    • Yeast Infection Cream
  • Heat/Cold
    • Hot Hands
    • Hot Water Bottle
    • Ice Bag
  • Dental
    • Clove Oil
    • Denture Cream
    • Dental Tools
    • Floss
    • Mouthwash
    • Temporary Filling
    • Toothbrush
    • Toothpaste
  • Eyes
    • Contact Solution
    • Eye Patch
    • Eyewash
    • Eyeglass Cloth
    • Eyeglass Repair Kit 
    • Spare Glasses
  • Breathing (I am asthmatic)
    • Albuterol Inhaler
    • CPR Mask
    • Nebulizer
    • Saline
  • Sterility/Cleaning
    • Alcohol
    • Betadine
    • Hand Sanitizer
    • Peroxide
    • Tea Tree Oil
    • Witch Hazel
  • Tools
    • Blood Pressure Cuff
    • Candles
    • Collapsible Cup
    • Dawn Dish Soap
    • Gloves (non latex)
    • Glucose Testing Meter
    • Matches
    • Nail Clippers (small and large)
    • Needles
    • Paper Lunch Sacks
    • Pen and Paper
    • Penlight/LED Light (must be bright)
    • Pocket Knife
    • Razor
    • Razor Blades
    • Scalpel
    • Scissors (assorted)
    • Soap
    • Stethoscope
    • Thermometers
    • Tongue Depressors
    • Towels
    • Trash Bags
    • Tweezers (2 or more)
    • Whistle 
    • Zip Loc Bags
  • Good First Aid Book
www.RedCross.org
My next goal is to find durable, zipper-top nylong bags to store each of the categories in and clearly mark them. It will be best if I can find bags of different colors, since color coding would make it easier to spot the one I need in an emergency. I plan to store all of these bags in a large red backpack. A backpack will make it easy to grab and go in the case of an emergency.

Putting together a great first aid kit from scratch is a costly proposition, but one that pays off in the long run. In the event of an emergency, you will have a better chance of remaining calm and handling an emergency quickly and efficiently if you are prepared. Remember to check your supplies for their expiration dates and spend some time reviewing your kit annually. Also, you should consider taking a Red Cross first aid course in your local area. Stay safe and be well!