Friday, July 26, 2013

How To Repair a Tear or Hole in a Backpack

My Beloved Backpack Repaired
I have this fantastic backpack that I adore that developed a hole in the bottom due to use. Not wanting to pay $40 or more for a good replacement, I decided to repair the hole myself. I wanted to make sure to reinforce the integrity of the bottom so that my repair didn't make things worse. Here is how I did it so you can do it, step-by-step:

E-6000 Glue

Supplies:

  • Scissors
  • Thread (matching color of backpack)
  • Sharp Needle
  • E-6000 Glue


Step One: Empty the backpack out completely. Identify where the tear or hole is. Trim off any frayed threads. Using a similar color thread, sew the hole or tear closed. Make sure to use a sharp needle and double the thread for strength. There are quilting weight threads you can buy, but you don't have to.

Identify the Hole or Tear - Sew it Closed

Step 2: Cover the threads on the outside with a layer of E-6000 glue. This glue is fantastic and will not only reinforce the repair site, but will make it water tight as well. Allow the glue to dry overnight. Now do the same on the inside of the repair. I turned the bag completely inside out for this step. Again, allow it overnight to dry. 

Spread a layer of E-6000 Over the Repair (front and back)

 Step 3: Double check to make sure the glue is dry and the  repair is strong and enjoy your backpack once again!